Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Blanks Filled While You Wait

From my latest book, Vanishing Fair, available on Amazon. 

The old man was bemoaning
The daily passage of time
Probably because he just lost
Another of his friends yesterday
I know how that goes
Having been blindsided relentlessly
When I was much younger
I wanted to say
Yeah, but look at us
It's 7:30 in the morning
And we're both at the gym
That's got to count for something
Even if it is the pointless raging against
The oncoming darkness of all our lives
But I didn't say that
I just vexed my shoulders and said
What are you gonna do?
Given that we were in New Jersey
It seemed the only appropriate response
An all-purpose reaction
That is surprisingly effective
In a variety of occasions
When nothing of value said
Is going to make
Any difference

Copyright 2020 by Steve Keil