Thursday, January 21, 2010

Has anybody here seen my old friend Situation?

Okay, I have to confess something. Hi, my name is Steve (Hi, Steve) and I’m actually looking forward to watching tonight’s season finale of Jersey Shore. When the show first started the media in the tri-state area were all up in arms about how it portrayed Italians from Jersey as dumb, narcissistic, violent Guidos who like to drink too much and have sex at will with anyone they can. (Funny, they didn’t have a problem with the Sopranos.) They said it tarnished the Italian-American image of Jerseyites. Yeah, I know these people are kind of stupid, but at least they’re amusingly stupid. They’re certainly more entertaining than the latest bores on The Real World.

The only reality shows I can tolerate are the let’s all live in the same house but not win anything ones. (I’m big on College Hill, as well) Anytime there’s some sort of elimination or competition, I’m out. (just like in real life) Maybe I like it because, much like the Sopranos, they’re practically my relatives. (I swear, Janice Soprano IS my sister Carolyn) That doesn’t mean I want to be in the same room with them, but I do know them. So, there’s that recognition factor for me. As long as I don’t have to be in the same zip code, I can enjoy them. It’s kind of like what George Burns said.

Happiness is a loving family. In another city.