Monday, January 11, 2010

My favorite songs of the decade - Part 6

“Little Guy” by Gord Bamford

A touching song about raising a newborn son but with a couple of word changes it would make a great wedding song. Gay or straight.

“You can’t say I didn’t love you” by Aaron Pritchett

The song that put him on the map. (at least in Canada) Personally, I like the tune but the video was what caught my eye. Overdeveloped arms and earrings in both ears? Hmm.

“Lonesome Day” by Bruce Springsteen

Whether it’s about 9/11 or not, hardly matters. It’s the convincing sound of “It’s alright” that kept me coming back time after time.

“Ulysses” by Franz Ferdinand

Greek tragedy set in Clubland with a dash of the Doors for good measure. Most people didn’t dig it, but I sure did. Then again, I like when bands follow up their big hit with something confounding. File under: Tusk.

“Move” by the Creamettes

Yeah, I know the song’s been around since the musical was first on Broadway, but JHud really blew me away with this one. Although it’s not musically accurate (the major 7 chord progression in the break didn’t exist in 60’s R&B) it’s that escalating notes on down, down, down, down that give me the chills every time. Whew doggies.