Saturday, January 9, 2010

My favorite songs of the decade - Part 2

“Monkey to Man” by Elvis Costello

The bastard son of “Do You Just Know It” by Huey Smith and the Clowns and “The Monkey Speaks His Mind” by Dave Bartholomew. One of the sexiest tracks Mr. MacManus ever recorded (if you like bumping and grinding to a New Orleans beat, and I do) even though it’s about the de-evolution of man from a simian perspective. Another one of my Tuesday night at Woody’s favorites.

“Dirty Martini” by Joe Jackson

The companion song to “Monkey to Man” although it’s not necessarily about de-evolution although it’s definitely got the New Orleans angle.

“Hell Yeah” by Montgomery Gentry

For about a year, I couldn’t get enough of this one. Even though it’s a real bar song, I never heard it anywhere except in my earphones. It’s weird to be walking down the street and singing such a strident chorus but I’m comfortable with being weird.

“All the things I’ve done” by the Killers

I can do without the soldier part but I find the rest of the song completely uplifting. It’s made me cry several times and kept me going. I know, it’s hard to believe, but it’s true.

“Take me out” by the Scissor Sisters

I’m not a big fan of the band or the original version by Franz Ferdinand but this version (which is rhinestone away from being on the Honky Chateau album) works.