Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My favourite songs of the decade - Part 1

"What is this thing called love" by Gwyneth Paltrow (as Kitty Dean)

The song that sets the tone at the beginning of "Infamous" (the superior Capote movie). She's essentially doing the Keeley Smith version but it's one of the most heartbreaking and uplifting things I've ever heard.


"Fake tales of San Francisco" by the Arctic Monkeys

Brash, snotty and funny. Thank God there's some new rock and roll that's not just whining about a girlfriend.


"This Scene is Dead" by We Are Scientists

After I introduced to my friend Rob (the DJ for Rock and Roll night at Woody's) it became the soundtrack for many nights of watching the Toronto gayborhood in decline.


"Summerfling" by kd lang

I still have no idea why this wasn't a hit. It's truly a song that sounds like what it's about.


"LA" by the Wilkinsons

A song about losing someone to the Hollywood scene. It always made me think of my friend Anthony and sure enough, that's exactly what happened to him.