Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My favorite songs of the decade - Part 8

“Fairy Dust” by Joe Jackson

I still can’t figure out whether it’s satire or social commentary on the gay community but it sure sounded good over the speakers at Woody’s. There’s nothing better than getting a little liquored up and sneering at your peers.

“First of the Gang to Die” by Morrissey

Someone gave Mr. Dreary a good swift kick in the arse and got him to come up with this great rocking track. More feel good music about feeling bad.

“Karen by Night” by Jill Sobule

After I posted my praise for “Cinnamon Park” last week, someone who knows Jill wrote me and said that she had trouble with Sandra Bernhard on the tour that I saw them both on because she blew her off the stage. Jill wrote a song about her called “The most miserable woman in the world” which is on you tube somewhere. I haven’t been able to hear it because I stuck on Dial Up island but I’m sure it’s probably as great as this track.

“Since Tina Moved In” by James Collins

These days, my people are either self-righteous about doing drugs or self-righteous about not doing drugs. Usually, it’s because they’ve moved from one category to the other. This song is about the latter but it’s so damn catchy, that it’s been in my head on more than one occasion in context. Isn’t it ironic? Don’t you think? Nope.

“This Train Don’t Stop” by Elton John

Sometimes when you look around the room you realize that evolution is about as real as teenage vampires. Come to think of it, they are teenage vampires.