Friday, January 1, 2010

You gotta ring them bells

Last night when I was happy in the haze of a drunken new year's midnight hour I was struck by two things. One, I my life is always a complete surprise to me and that's the way I like it, as nerve wracking as it can be at times. A week ago I hadn't even met the guy who invited me and now I was ringing in the new year with people I had never met at his brother's party. I'm a big fan of anything can happen day. The other thing that I realized is that it's been one long stinking decade. Someone casually mentioned how quickly the last ten years had flown by and I had to reply "Really?" Not for me. In fact, the more I've been reconsidering the zeroes over the last few days, I realize that it has seemed to last a long time. Much longer than the 90's or 80's. Maybe it's because I didn't enjoy it as much as other decades. Still, it taught me more than any of the other ones and as we all know, time crawls when you're learning to crawl. I'm rootless and unsure about what the future will bring but as I stood looking over a room full of strangers, I had to concede that it usually works out fine. Things might be tough but as long as you move forward you move somewhere decent eventually. I guess that's the law of averages. So, here's to a new year and all the optimism it brings. Let's enjoy it before it all starts falling apart.

Which it always does. Eventually.