Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My favorite songs of the decade - Part 7

“Bootystition” by Smash

Bootylicious and Superstition put together. The penultimate mash-up. File under: It’s so perfect, why didn’t I think of that?

“Rapture Riders” by Go Home Productions

Like most great mash-ups, once you hear it, you can’t ever hear one of the songs on its own without hearing the other in your head. Riders on the Storm and Rapture. Amazing.

“The Twist of Single Ladies” by Amoraboy

There’s been many, many mash ups that use “Single Ladies” by Jayonce and although I think the one with the Andy Griffith theme is inspired, this one gets my vote. I love performing it live. Next time you’re at some karaoke night, request “The Twist” and you can do it for yourself. It blows people away. Trust me.

“Rock Steady” by Remy Shand

This song has everything going against it. A light and funky soul number sung by a white boy from Winnipeg with a Rickie Lee Jones fashion fixation. And yet, I still think it’s a great song.

“Both Reached for the Gun” by the cast of Chicago

No, I really don’t think Richard Gere can sing, but much like Joe Strummer said of Johnny Cash, it’s the way he can’t sing that makes him great. Plus, I love songs with too many words in them. This certainly applies.

“Gold Watch and Chain” by Meryl Streep and Garrison Keillor

From the Prairie Home Companion soundtrack. Yup, she’s even a great singer, too.